You probably know what it’s like to be woken up by a traditional alarm clock.
At your chosen wake up time, the alarm starts it’s loud beeping, buzzing, or ringing, startling you out of a sound sleep. You wake up confused, not really sure of what’s going on. After a few seconds, you realize your alarm clock is, basically, screaming at you.
Eventually, maybe after slapping the snooze button a few times, you drag yourself out of bed. But even if you got the full eight hours of sleep everyone says you need, you still feel groggy and cranky, and you just want to crawl back under the covers.
Now a traditional alarm clock isn’t a bad thing. These devices do exactly what they are designed to do. But wouldn’t it be great if there was a more pleasant, less jarring way to wake up on time.
Fortunately, there is. You just need wake up lights.
Wake up light alarm clocks use a combination of light and sound help you to wake up more naturally. Rather than startling you awake with a sudden, loud, and often unpleasant sound, sunrise alarm clocks ease you into a waking state.
About 30 minutes before a wake up light alarm clock goes off, a light that slowly increases in brightness will help you to wake up gradually. Often, by the time the alarm sounds, you will already be awake, and will feel more refreshed and alert than you would with a traditional alarm clock. But even if you aren’t fully awake yet, you’ll be close enough that the sound of the alarm won’t be as harsh and jarring. As a result, you won’t feel so groggy and cranky when you get out of bed. In fact, you’re more likely to feel refreshed, energized, and eager to take on the day.
Sunrise simulating alarm clocks have become quite popular over the years. And, below, you’ll find our picks for the top 3 wake up lights on the market. Our selections are packed with features, and have many satisfied customers singing their praises. We also made our picks so that, no matter your budget, you can find a quality, feature-rich sunrise clock that will suit your needs.
So, without further ado, here are our top 3 wake up light alarm clocks.
1. The Philips Wake up Light with Colored Sunrise Simulation
Our top pick is the Philips HF3520 Wake up Light Alarm clock.
Philips sunrise simulators are among the most popular on the market, and the Philips Wake Up Light with Colored Sunrise Simulation is their best selling model.
The Philips HF3520 is a light therapy lamp that uses a natural sunrise effect to help you wake up naturally. As a result, you will be able to take on the day with more energy and an improved sense of well-being.
With the Philips Wake up Light with Colored Sunrise Simulation, there’s nothing to assemble. Just plug in your brand new sun alarm clock, adjust the sound and brightness settings, and set the alarm to your desired wake up time.
About 30 minutes before the alarm goes off, the alarm clock will begin to emit a dim light. Like the sunrise, this light will gradually brighten until your bedroom is filled with a soft but bright light. By the time the alarm goes off, the light will be at its brightest, and you will have woken up gently and naturally.
So, what features make this model so appealing?
Clinically Proven Effectiveness
The Philips HF3520’s colored sunrise simulation helps you wake up feeling more alert and refreshed than you would with a regular alarm clock. Clinical research has proven that those who use wake up lights tend to wake in a better mood, and have more energy when they get out of bed.
The PowerBackUp+ Feature
With this feature, if you ever lose power, the internal clock setting will be maintained. Also, the back-up alarm will continue to function for up to 8 hours.
The Money Back Guarantee
Not only does the Philips HF3520 Wake up Light Alarm clock have some great features, it also includes a 90 Day, No Hassle, Money Back Guarantee. If you’re not happy with the product for any reason, return it and you’ll get your money back, no questions asked.
The Philips Wake up Light with Colored Sunrise Simulation comes packed with features.
- Includes a selection of 5 wake-up sounds, each one inspired by sounds you hear in nature.
- If you like to wake up listening to music, this sun alarm clock has a built in FM radio.
- The lights are UV-free.
- You’ll never need to replace a light bulb in the Philips HF3520.
- There’s a tap-to-snooze feature. Just touch the sunrise alarm clock anywhere and you’ll be able to sleep in for another 9 minutes.
- The Philips HF3520 stays cool to the touch. You don’t have to worry about it burning anyone who gets too close.
- Includes a sunlight fading night light. As the light dims, mimicking the sunset, you will relax and gently fall asleep.
- Includes 20 brightness settings, so you can adjust the brightness levels of the wake up light to suit your preferences.
- Can go up to 200 lux in brightness.
- The LED display is large and easy to read. And when your bedroom gets dark, the display will dim automatically.
- The Philips HF3520’s light can be set bright enough to read by. This is perfect if you don’t have space on your nightstand for both an alarm clock and a reading lamp.
- Non-slip rubber feet keep the alarm clock in place.
If you’re looking for a sunrise simulator that’s packed with features, but is also extremely easy to use, you can’t go wrong with the Philips Wake up Light with Colored Sunrise Simulation.
2. The Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Our second pick is another sunrise simulator from Philips.
The Philips HF3505 Wake up Light Alarm Clock is a light therapy lamp that’s been clinically proven to help users wake up feeling refreshed and energized. This natural light alarm clock wakes you up more gently and naturally than traditional alarm clocks. And it does it by using light that mimics a natural sunrise.
What Type of Snorer Are You?
There are 3 types of snorers and each need their own treatment. Take our 40 second test to see what type you are.
Those who use the Philips HF3505 find that, when they get out of bed, they feel more energized. They also tend to be in a better mood than when they are startled awake by more harsh and disruptive alarm clocks.
The Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio wakes you with a combination of sound and gently brightening light.
Thirty minutes before your chosen wake up time, the alarm clock’s light will turn on. This light will gradually increase in brightness and intensity until your room is filled with a bright but warm yellow light. This brightening light will slowly and gently ease you into wakefulness. By the time the light has brightened fully, you’ll probably be awake and raring to go. But, just to make sure, a gentle beep will sound at your chosen wake up time.
The Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio has a lot going for it.
Wake up to the Sound of Your Choice
At your wake up time, one of two natural bird sounds will begin to play. Many find that bird sounds help them to wake up faster. But if you prefer, you can wake up to the sound of the built in FM radio set to your favorite station.
Brighter Settings for Heavy Sleepers
If you’re a heavy sleeper, you might need brighter lights to help you wake up in the morning. Luckily, the Philips HF3505 Wake up Light Alarm Clock can go up to 200 lux.
A Satisfaction Guarantee
Like other sunrise simulators from Philips, the Philips HF3505 includes a 90 Day, No Hassle, Money Back Guarantee. If you’re not happy with the product for any reason, return it within 90 days for a full refund.
The Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio has many useful features.
- Choose between two natural bird sounds.
- The built in FM radio is easy to adjust.
- Includes a Tap-To-Snooze function. Just tap the top of the sunrise alarm clock, and you can sleep in for an extra 9 minutes.
- A beep function helps to ensure that you wake up on time.
- The Philips Wake Up Light with Radio has 10 brightness settings to choose from. And you can easily change the brightness to suit your needs. For example, if you want to wake up a bit faster one morning, you can use a brighter setting.
- Anti slip rubber feet ensure that the alarm clock will stay in place.
- The Philips HF3505 has a touch screen, making it even easier to use.
The Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio doesn’t have quite as many features as some of the company’s other models. But it’s a great option for anyone searching for a quality sunrise alarm clock.
3. The Totobay Sunrise Simulation Wake Up Light
The third pick on our list is also the most affordable.
It can be difficult to find a good sunrise alarm clock that’s inexpensive, and is equipped with more than a few basic features. But that’s exactly what you get with the totobay 2nd Generation Sunrise Simulation Wake up Light.
This budget-friendly sunrise simulator uses a combination of light and gentle sound to help you wake up naturally. And it has many features that make it an attractive choice.
Adjustable Light Color and Brightness
Similar to some more expensive sunrise alarm clocks, the totobay Sunrise Simulation Wake Up Light gives you a choice of 10 brightness settings. You can also choose between 7 color settings, including warm white, green, red, blue, purple, orange and indigo.
7 Wake-Up Sounds to Choose From
What sounds do you want to hear when you wake up in the morning? Well, this sun alarm clock from totobay gives you seven to choose from, including relaxing piano music, the sounds of crashing ocean waves, and the soothing sound of birdsong. Or you might prefer waking up to the built-in FM radio tuned to your favorite station,
Includes a Battery Backup
One of the most annoying things about losing power is having to reset your clocks. But with the totobay Sunrise Simulation Wake up Light, that doesn’t have to be a problem.
When you inspect this sunrise simulator, you’ll see a place to insert two AAA batteries. If your power goes out, the batteries will maintain your time and FM radio settings.
Just keep in mind that this alarm clock’s wake up light function won’t be operational if it’s only being powered by the batteries. Also, the batteries aren’t included, so you’ll have to buy your own.
The totobay Sunrise Simulation Wake Up Light has more features than some other sunrise alarm clocks in this price range. See for yourself.
- The sunrise simulation wake up light helps you wake up naturally in the morning.
- The sunset simulation sleep light helps you fall asleep at night.
- There are 10 brightness levels to choose from.
- You can set the light to a dim setting and use it as a night light. Or set the light to a brighter setting to use as a reading light.
- There are 7 wake up sounds to choose from.
- The alarm clock has a built in FM radio.
- The LED display is easy to read.
- You can choose between three time displays, including High, Low and Off.
- You can decide whether the time is displayed in 12 hour or 24 hour format.
- The totobay Sunrise Simulation Wake up Light has a Smart Snooze Function with Touch Control. Gently press the snooze button, and you can sleep in for an extra 5 minutes.
- Touch controls allow you to easily set the time, choose radio stations, set the alarm, adjust the brightness, and more.
- The unit can be powered by a USB cable and a wall jack. The totobay 6638 Sunrise Simulation Wake up Light might not have as many features as some more expensive sunrise simulators. But, for someone looking for a more affordable wake up light alarm clock, this is a great choice.